Friday, May 15, 2009

Milan


mmmmmm.....
I took a long walk under the rain. 4 km to reach the Botanic Garden in Brera Street.
A fascinating messy garden secluded behind high walls and under the shade of tall pine trees.
The Garden has been there as it is since 1774 but there is written proof of its existence back in 1100... wow. It was a pleasant visit. It rained the entire time, misty rain, the kind that keeps you company. The gardener wasn't there this afternoon but a kind lady named Gabriella who takes care of the paperwork told me all about the place. I think they had about 15 different kinds of sage, some of them HUGE. On the other hand I found a flower that is stunning and that I have to look in to. It's the pink one in the picture: filpendula dentata.... they say but I'm not really that sure.

I got to the Botanic Garden just 10 minutes before closing time so I ended up roaming around this beautiful city without a real destination.

I bumped into this...


Can you guess what it is? Yes, a sculpture but what does it represent? Does this picture help?



Thread and Needle. The knot pops up on the other side of the street in a fountain!
It is in front of the Cadorna Station Colonnade where a bike sharing station stands out in its bright yellow! It was rush hour when I got there and soooo many people were handing back the bikes they went to work with after they got into the city with the train. It is so nice to see something that works in this country!





The walk continued and it was a real achievement to resist this ice cream parlor... I will come with Massimo tomorrow, eating one of these is an experience that has to be shared.


One last thing, Lega Nord's election poster. It states:
"They underwent immigration and now they live in reserves"
Oh intolerance. I guess no city can be perfect but this poster is absurd!



No comments:

Post a Comment